Thursday, May 11, 2017

update

I have not posted for a while because things were going well.
I feel great and except for the annoying side effects of the Tarceva (chemo) I was able to function.
When I started the clinical trial of Tarceva, (thirteen months ago) they explained to me that it often works for about one year at which point the cancer may get 'smart' and mutate and a new drug will be needed to fight the cancer.
On Tuesday I had my regular brain MRI and torso CT scan.
Yesterday I got the results and it seems that the Tarceva is no longer working.  Thank God there is no new growth on the brain. However, they found small tumors along my spine and other bone areas.
I will go for a spine MRI tomorrow for further examination and will be scheduled for a new biopsy. They will look to see if there are new genetic markers that will respond to a targeted therapy.
They will then change my regiment accordingly.
This may seem like bad news, but the fact is that there are great advancements in lung cancer and there are many medical paths to have a life full of quality.
I feel blessed to have so many family and friends praying for my good health.
I will keep you posted on new test results and treatment.

2 comments:

  1. I just saw this - I hope the next thing they try works even better and for much longer. Are they going to try an immunotherapy? Much love, Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having a biopsy this Wednesday and hopefully that will give them more info if a targeted therapy or immunotherapy will be more appropriate. Once I get all the results I will also look for second and third opinions, before starting something new.
      I will email you as soon as I get any info.

      Delete